Friday 14 August 2015

My first week volunteering in the kitchen at camp moose lake

Monday August 3rd
Today was my first day at camp moose lake as kitchen help! We left the house a little late so we got to camp more toward the end of the staff meeting, because it started at three. When I got there I was nervous. I sat down on a couch and the camp leader asked me what my name is, what my role was, and what character would I be. I said hello my name is Madeline and I am kitchen help, and I would have to be Winnie the Pooh. After that I looked around the room to see if there was anybody I sort of new, i saw Natasha, and then I'm like ok. After the meeting the kitchen staff went over the meal plan with Kendra and a little tour of the kitchen. Monday's supper was just for the staff, we had Greek pita wraps with salad. I was serving the salad. I wasn't the favourite this meal.  Next after we cleaned up me and my fellow kitchen help made cinnamon buns. After we put the cinnamon buns, we went to a circle prayer with all the staff, she said you could say how your feeling, or say a prayer of what you hope the week brings us. When it came to my turn I said I was nervous.
Today was very stressful. I was staying in chickadee, I never stayed in chickadee before!

Tuesday August 4th 
Today is our first full day at camp moose lake. This morning I woke up at 7:10 to be in the kitchen in 5:00 minutes, 7:15, we made it in time. For breakfast we were having oatmeal which didn't envolve much prep work, so we started prepping for lunch. For lunch was homemade tomato soup and grilled cheese. When I was cutting some celery up I suddenly didn't feel so good so i went to the nurses office and took a 2 hour nap and ate some crackers because I haven't eaten anything. I felt a little better after my nap so I went back into the kitchen and ate a grilled cheese. after we finished our lunch we cleaned up and then we took a break.  For supper we had chilly, salad and courldren fries outside by the water. I was serving the fires for this meal, so I was defiantly the favourite.  There was of course a afternoon snack of brownies! Since supper was outside we had to take all the utensils, and food and plates and cups out to the gader so we could take it buy the water. Obviously upper was a hit! Who could go wrong with fries, chilly and SALAD? After supper the campers had there hang ten jobs, we cleaned everything up and took back to the kitchen, and some off the staff helped do the dishes.
I was on snack supervision tonight. It went well I just made sure they new where everything was.

Wednesday August 5th
Today we woke up at 7:15 instead of being in the kitchen at 7:15. It wasn't a huge deal we weren't that late. For supper we had breakfast burritos and cauldron eggs with sausage, by the water front. After that we cleaned up breakfast and then started prepping for lunch. For lunch we had chicken burgers with the option of bean and lentil burgers fr the vegetarians and of course carrots and celery. For lunch I got put on veggies, so I wasn't the favourite for lunch. Today Rihanna came for lunch today. We got a break after lunch so I took a nap because I didn't get much sleep last night. After that it was prepping for camp out meal and stuff they needed to take along for cooking the meal. As the campers went on camp out, there was the kitchen staff and a few other staff left behind so we took out all the left overs including dirt cake, banana sheet cake, and brownies and let people take what they wanted. Then we cleaned up the kitchen and we were done for the rest of the night. I went in my cabin and read, then we went for a barge ride.

Thursday August 6th
Today we got to sleep in until eight because the campers weren't back from the camp out yet. For breakfast we had set out cereal and toast and fruit. After that we cleaned up and prepared lunch. It was hot dogs out in the picnic shelter.  For supper we had pizza it was not good weather outside so they decided to have fire side inside the lodge. I really love the vibe of fire side. For the first part, listening to the guitar play, and then singing.

Friday August 7th 
Today we woke up at 7:15 again, I didn't really get a good sleep so I wanted to stay in bed longer. For breakfast we had French toast, bacon, fruit and eggs for the vegetarian people. During breakfast and before breakfast some one in the kitchen started making bread. That bread was for lunch, we made subs with veggies of course. We had lunch by the mini lodge which was a perfect day to have lunch outside, because it was so nice. After lunch we cleaned up, and then went for break. I wrote, took a nap and organized my suit case. Tonight is theme meal! I am so exited for theme meal, tonight we are having chicken finger and potato wedges, and the theme is a fairytale. The meal was good although a little late, and I wish the skits were longer. For snack we had homemade doughnuts. We were suppose to be frying the doughnuts in the couldren, but it was raining so we baked the. Instead. We made the types of home made bread today! After that we cleaned up and then there was nothing for me to do, so I was done for the night. On my way back to the cabins it was spitting a bit and then when I got to the cabin it was chucking down rain, and it's thundering and lightning. Not very good weather. I don't really like thunderstorms, especially at camp. Good night!

Saturday August 8th
Today I woke up and got in the kitchen for 7:15. For breakfast we made English muffins with banana chocolate chip muffins and rhubarb cinnamon muffins with fruit salad. For lunch we had taco salad outside and jello for dessert. Since this was the last day we had to clean the kitchen. That took forever, we cleaned the oven, that took a long time but it was clean. I do t think all that dirt from the oven was us. After we finished cleaning the kitchen, I went to my cabin to clean up all my stuff. I took it outside and then waited for my mum to come. My mum and dad were staying at the moose lake camp ground, so that is where I am staying tonight. Maybe I will get a good night sleep. For supper we had potatoes and ribs. After we had supper and a shower, we went for a short canoe ride. When we came back we started a fire and roasted marshmallows and put them between to oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Cease we didn't have gram crackers, and then I went to bed. Good night. 

Sunday August 9th 
Today I woke up at 9:33 and got up and sat outside while my parents made breakfast. We had English muffins, except with bagels Instead of English muffins. I read as they cleaned up breakfast, and then me and my dad played bocce ball in the camp ground. He won then we made lunch because even though we just had breakfast we wanted to make lunch before we cleaned and packed everything up. My dad drove me back to camp. We sat through the staff meeting and then we had to get in the kitchen, this week there are more people in the kitchen because there are a lot more campers than last week. This week it junior high and there is 52 people this week. For supper it was just the staff, so we made pulled pork sandwiches, egg salad sandwiches for the vegetarians, potato wedges and coleslaw. And of course cinnamon buns for snack. For some reason these cinnamon buns tasted a lot better than last weeks, the dough just tasted a lot fluffier. Then  I chopped tomatoes for garden salad and I was done so I went to the mini lodge to set up my bed and go to sleep. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cakes/Bakes I have made recently series part 3

Hello, Welcome back to The Nook Todays quote is "People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day" -Winnie the pooh ...